Parasite Review


     Bong Joon-Ho is back.  After making two English language films, Snowpiercer and Ojka, the director has returned to his native South Korea. His newest film, Parasite, premiered at Cannes Festival to rave reviews. It won the Palme D'or, which is the festival's coveted highest prize. As it began to open in select theaters, critics raved that it was truly a masterpiece of film. After seeing a screen of the movie last night, I thoroughly agree.

     Parasite is an obvious social commentary, as most of Joon-ho's films are.  The film follows an impoverished family.  They eventually find a way to con an incredibly naive and wealthy family.  From there, the plot takes an incredibly amount of unpredictable twists and turns.  It would be completely unfair of this reviewer to spoil any more points.  Parasite operates much better with less preconceived notions on the part of the viewer.  Don't try and analyze the plot or trailer before seeing it. In fact, I would recommend not even viewing the trailer. Don't worry about subtitles or the length of the film.  Give the film your complete virgin attention upon it's initial viewing.

    Categorizing Parasite as any sort of genre is completely unfair.  The film seems to transcend genre as it delivers a little bit of everything. To make such a film is an extraordinary feat for a director, which Bong is able to do. The major theme of the film is contrast in the social commentary. Whether it be poor versus rich, space versus claustrophobia, light versus dark, up versus down, positivity versus cynicism, the dazzling amount of layered disparity makes the screenplay nearly perfect. What also stunned me about the film is the pacing. Usually pacing is not something I tend to think about as a reviewer.  Out of all of my reviews, I think I only noted pacing as an asset in my reaction to First Man.  The ability to have a film that operates at both a thrillingly prompt and painfully slow pace synonymously is a fragile structure.  Misplace one moment of the film, and the entire structure would fall apart.  However, Parasite never does this in any place and maintains absolute perfection.

     Parasite is a masterpiece of film, and my favorite film of the year so far. Though the acting, cinematography and everything is perfect, it is the directorial effort that deserves the most recognition. It is one of the most expertly crafted movies I have ever seen an auteur pull off. Bong Joon-Ho should be recognized as what he is: an absolute master of the cinema. if you treat yourself to only one movie this year, or this decade, find a select theater showing Parasite, and give this perfect piece of media a fair chance.

Grade: (10/10)

 

Comments

  1. I am Alecia used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes...i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Dr Mandaker); he just got he just got his new page (witch-doctor.page4.me), has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps
    for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn't mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I'm sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him as witchhealing@outlook.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,Barrenness(need a child),goodLuck voodoo,it's all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment